So, I have been a hairdresser, a nanny, and worked in retail several times over the years and have moved to PA and did I find a job in any of these fields? Nope. Leave it to me to find a job (hopefully a new career) in a completely different field! I stumbled upon an opening for an orthodontic assistant and somehow managed to get it!
Someone (uh-hum...Barbara) had urged me to go into offices (whether or not they were advertising for help) and drop off my resume. This is completely out of my comfort zone, but I thought I needed to give it a try! Last Monday I headed out to begin my search. The first place I saw was an orthodontic office. So, I pulled in, walked up to the front door and opened it to be greeted in the front hallway by the entire staff!!! Apparently they were having a quick, impromtu staff meeting. I stumbled over my words as I told them why I was there, handed someone my resume and quickly left feeling quite embarrassed.
The next morning I got an email from the office manager telling me that not even one hour before I arrived at their office the day before, she had placed an ad for help in the local newspaper! And then she set up an interview with me for Wednesday. I interviewed on Wednesday, met with one of the doctors on Thursday and was offered the job Thursday afternoon!
I never in a million years would think of applying for a job as an orthodontic assistant. Although it is something I think I could really enjoy, I just assumed you needed training to do a job like this. Apparently you don't! This office actually prefers to train their staff themselves. It seems like a really great place to work and I am excited to start learning a new trade. Well, I better go and get some good rest tonight...I start working tomorrow!
PS You can check out the office online at http://www.loasmiles.com/

4 comments:
Congratulations, Nikki! I hope your first day at work went well!
Christine
wow, that's just great news to hear. how was your first day??? ps, i love the attire you get to wear for work, lol. i can't wait to hear all about it :)
I absolutely knew you could do it!
I am so happy for you! What a
wonderful feeling to be helping
children to have beautiful smiles.
Love
Barbara
Congratulations!! That just might come in handy in a few years when Abby's mouth needs some attention :)
Post a Comment