Saturday, July 11, 2009

One Fish, Two Fish, Three Fish

Three little fish (better known as Emma, Abby & Nate) is what we had at our house this past weekend. It was hot, sunny, perfect summer weather all weekend and we spent all day both Saturday and Sunday swimming! Saturday, our friends who are members at the brand new local YMCA invited us to go swimming with them. All the kids had so much fun splashing around together. Since Jake missed all the fun Saturday while he was at work, Sunday we found another pool nearby (that doesn't require a membership to get into) to swim at. There were three pools, a diving board, water slide and fountains to keep everyone entertained all day. The kids spent a total of 9 hours swimming in one weekend!
I just love the goggles :)


Abby and Nate had fun in the mushroom fountain...
Abigail is quite the little swimmer now! Thanks to Grandmom and Pop Pop who took both Emma and Abby to two weeks of swimming lessons recently, this little girl is like a fish in water! She had plenty of opportunity this past weekend to show off all she had learned in her lessons. I think the most exciting part of this weekend for Abby was that because she is able to swim on her own she was allowed to go down the water slide by herself!
Emma is also a great swimmer and spends much of her time swimming underwater. I know it's lots of fun for her, but I must say that it is a little nerve wracking for Jake and I. Especially when you are at a pool full of kids and you are trying to keep your eye on her at all times! Emma was brave and tried out the diving board at the pool on Sunday. She loved it and probably would have spent the whole day going off it if it weren't for the fact she was not allowed to wear her goggles when jumping off the diving board (we didn't know this until after her first jump which she wore her goggles for). I think the next swimming challenge for Em will to be attempt to go underwater without goggles :)
And then there's Nathan! Let me tell you, this little boy has come so far! A year ago all Nate would do in the pool is play on the steps. He had no interest in letting an adult hold him and take him out in deeper waters, he had no interest in wearing his life jacket and swimming around himself, and he had absolutely NO interest in going underwater. Oh, how things have changed! This past spring at the hotel pool with Nana, Nate finally would let us dunk him underwater. On Sunday, Nate was willingly going underwater by himself! He spent the majority of his time at the pool on Sunday underwater! He was so much fun to watch and is becoming a little fish in water just like his big sisters. Here is a video so you can see for yourself...

3 comments:

Judy said...

Yay Abby!! I can't believe she went down the water slide. She wanted to last year at a pool near us but couldn't because she probably would have drown at the end of it. You weren't allowed to wear a life jacket!
Christian still just plays on the steps, but I'm thrilled that Nate is improving so much! I can't believe they spent 9 hours swimming. That's great! They need to keep doing it so their skills stay fresh!!

Anonymous said...

Yay for the swimmer girls! I'm so glad the swimming lessons are paying off. Both girls know how to do the strokes correctly. I hope they keep practicing.
Yay for Nate! We didn't have an opportunity to take him swimming, so I'm glad you were able to take him and help him get used to the water. What an improvement!
Grandmom

Anonymous said...

What great little swimmers!!
That mushroom fountain looks like
the perfect way to cool off on a
hot summer day! Nathan, I'm so
proud of you for being so brave
to go under water! Girls, you
really learned alot at your swimming lessons and Grandmom's
and Pop Pop's!
Miss you all
Love
Nana