Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Parenting 101: What Not To Do To Your 10 Year Old

I've always been terrified of the term step-mother. I guess because step-mothers always get a bad rap. You know, all the fairytale stories always have an "evil step-mother." Ever since my relationship with Emma, Abby and Nate began I have been worried that they would think I am "evil" just because I am their step-mom. Well, to my delight, they have proved me wrong. So far they seem to be good with me. I mean I'm pretty sure they love me and all. I do, of course, have my "evil step-mother" moments. Like when I feed them store brand mac & cheese and not Kraft. Can you even believe the cruelty?! But for the most part, we are good. Well, as it turns out, I should have spent less time being concerned about not being the evil parent and more time being concerned about not being the over-protective, completely uptight parent...that apparently I am.


I always joke with the kids that if I could wrap them in bubble wrap I would. It's true...I totally would. To this they say they are grateful that they have Daddy around who is leveled headed enough to know that this is completely out of line to do. In fact, they have their Daddy to thank for not being the three biggest nerds in school. Last year I took the kids to their school roller skating party and told Jake that I brought their helmets to wear. He informed me that there was NO WAY his children would be wearing HELMETS at an indoor skating rink. I argued this because our rule at home is "if there are wheels on your feet, there is a helmet on your head." He reminded me that they were not going to be at home, but with all their friends from school and assured me that they would be the ONLY ones wearing helmets and that it would be so NOT COOL. Jake won. And he was right. Nobody else was wearing helmets. Emma was relieved that Dad was there to keep her from being mortified. Tonight, unfortunately, she wasn't so lucky.


Emma had youth group tonight. This is a new thing for her. She has been a few other times and Amy or Jake usually take her. Well, I took her tonight and I have a feeling I will never be allowed to take her again! Tonight they were having a bonfire and she was instructed to bring a stick to roast marshmallows. We arrived a little early and there were only a couple kids there. She walked across the parking lot calling, "See ya later!" over her shoulder. What?! Where are the adults?! She informed me that there were a couple of teenagers there who help out. Ok. But where are the adults? We had a stare-down in the parking lot. Her look kept saying, "But, they are TEENAGERS." And my look kept saying, "But I DON'T CARE." (BTW, this is all taking place right in front of the very cool teenagers.) I insisted she find an adult before I left her. She gave me a sigh. If only this was the worst part. She found her adult and I was satisfied. As I proceeded to walk across the parking lot and she made her way to the playground, I shouted, "Be careful, Emma! Don't run with a stick in your hand!" OMG!!!! If looks could kill I would be a dead woman!! She gave me the eye-roll. She informed me after youth group that I was lucky there weren't any boys there or she would have "flipped!" Oh dear. And then when I tucked her in bed at 8:00pm (yes, I put her to bed at 8:00pm because I am paranoid she doesn't get enough sleep) she said to me, "You're lucky I love you."


Yes, Emma. I am lucky. I am the luckiest woman in the whole world. I am blessed with the three most precious step-kids who love me despite my short comings. Who love me despite the fact that I am completely over-bearing, way too protective, and continue to find ways (not on purpose) to embarrass them. And I only hope someday they realize just how much I love them too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story. I could just picture the whole scene. Emma is growing up much too fast for all of us.
Grandmom

Anonymous said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA......I love it!!! I can just picture the look on both of your faces while all of this is going on. It is so hard to let go as they are getting older. They are so lucky to have loving parents and step-parents that care so much about them. BTW, your right, I don't think Emma will be asking you to do the drop-off again. :0)

Love you all,
Christine

Anonymous said...

I love this blog!!! I could just
picture Emma's face (and yours)

You are a wonderful stepmom!
We all appreciate all you do for the children..and someday they'll
be thankful for all you've done.

Love
Mom

Renee said...

I'm sure deep down they already know how much you love them :)

Love,
Renee