Thursday, February 19, 2009

Smiles

I had a really neat experience this week at my job. I got to see a smile! You would think that because I work with teeth and mouths for a good portion of my week I would see more smiles than I do. However, the reality is, most of our patients are not exactly happy to be in our office or sitting in our chair or have our hands working in their mouths for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and a half. Why? Because they know whatever we do to their braces in our office is going to hurt their poor mouths for the next few days. So smiles (and I mean real smiles not just, "I'm being polite so I am going to smile but really I hate you because my mouth is throbbing!") are few and far between. But on Monday afternoon I had a new experience. I had a girl in my schedule for the removal of her braces. This was my first time assisting in a removal. Usually I am the one putting on braces, not taking them off. I was excited about this procedure because it was a new experience for me. But my excitement was nothing in comparison to the patients! When I entered the reception area and called her name, she literally jumped up out of her seat with the biggest smile on her face! She was nine years old and reminded me so much of Emma. She was sincerely happy to see me and happy to be at her appointment. I had the pleasure of removing all the brackets from her teeth. Her face, when she looked in the mirror at her brace less smile, was priceless! It was so much fun to be part of this special day for her. It was refreshing for me to have this experience. In my previous career as a hairdresser, I had the opportunity to experience smiles like this everyday. Most people who make an appointment to get their hair done want to be there, are enjoying themselves while they are with you, and leave feeling happy and beautiful. I miss being able to give people this feeling. Taking part in this appointment on Monday reminded me that I am still working to help people feel happy and beautiful...it's just a much longer process and sometimes hurts along the way. But in the end it is worth it. A beautiful smile lasts forever.
I also had a great experience at the daycare this week. I started working as an assistant daycare teacher in October. I only work there twice a week and when I am there I am never in the same class. I get shuffled around between the four classrooms depending on where they need extra help. Recently, I have been spending a lot of time in the Pre-K 1 room which is for kids ages
2 1/2- 3 1/2. Finally, I have been able to get to know the kids a little more and they have also gotten to know me. It's been fun and each day I work there, I hope I get placed in that room. They melted my heart last Friday when I received Valentines from each of them :) But, on Wednesday, they really made me smile. As I walked into the classroom I was greeted by shrieks of familiar voices saying, "Yay!! Miss Nikki is here!!" Soon after, their arms wrapped around my legs and waist. What a great way to start they day!
All of this to say that I am loving having not one, but two jobs that I play a small part in helping people smile. And that makes me smile :)

2 comments:

Renee said...

That is so wonderful! I can imagine that you don't see many genuine smiles...I remember when you and Dee had braces! Taking that little girl's braces off must have been a great experience for you :)

I bet the kids at the daycare are very sweet. Kids have a great way of making you feel special. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get a permanent spot with that age group.

Love,
Renee

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to enjoy
both of your jobs so much!! It
must be great not to have to go
into the same setting day after
day ............At my job most
of the kids are crying or at
least will be crying by the time
they leave..I'm depressing myself
Have a good day..thanks for sharing!

Love
Barbara