Sunday, January 25, 2009

Progress

This is the face of a boy who is very happy and proud of himself, and he should be!
Nate made some MAJOR progress in the potty training department this weekend. Not only is he proud, but we are too! I know that there have been several people involved in the potty training adventure with Nathan. Everyone from Amy, Judy, Grandmom, Jake and I, daycare workers and even Jenn Farnsworth. So I thought you would appreciate this post.
Out of everyone who has been part of this project, I probably have had the least success with getting Nate to use the potty. At least at our house, he prefers to do this with Jake and that is perfectly fine with me :) When we had the kids with us two weekends ago, Nate stayed dry all day both Saturday and Sunday. But, Jake was home all weekend with us and he did all the potty breaks with Nate. Knowing now that he can do it, I was determined to keep the ball rolling. However, this weekend Jake had to work all day Saturday. So first thing in the morning I asked Nate if he needed to go potty. He said, "No, my Daddy does that with me." I reminded him that Daddy was not home today and Nate could have cared less. He was perfectly content with using his Pull Up. So, I found a timer and set it for 3 minutes (because Nate is 3) and told Nate that when the timer beeped it was time to use the potty. He agreed! The timer went off and Nate went to the bathroom. From then on I set the timer for 30 minutes and he went potty every 30 minutes and his Pull Up stayed dry all morning! By the end of the morning he was even doing everything all by himself and didn't want or need help!
It gets even better! Immediately after one potty break I found Nate hiding in his bedroom. He told me not to look at him and I knew why. He was doing his business. I suggested he do it on the potty rather than in his pants. He reluctantly agreed and successfully went poop on the potty!! Nate was pretty amazed and quite interested in the whole process. He kept looking in the toilet at his creations and was very excited when he "made a carrot" and was quite concerned when "one broked"!!! Got to love kids!
The good news continues. Nate continued to use his timer today and stayed dry all day and even went poop on the potty again!
Good job Nate!!! We are so proud of you!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for progress! The timer was a great idea.
Grandmom

Anonymous said...

Yayyy, Nate! What a good idea to use the timer.

Love,
Christine

Judy said...

We've had continued success today. It sounds like he just needed that one on one time with you. He never gets that and I think he just needed someone to focus on it with him when there weren't a lot of other distractions. I'm so glad you got him going (literally :) I was starting to get a little frustrated.
He was so proud of himself today. He couldn't wait to show Christian what he could do. He didn't poop at all today, so hopefully he'll have a successful time with that sometime tonight.
Hopefully our diapering days are numbered! (At least with this kid)

Anonymous said...

Hurray!! Nathan looked so happy!
Great job done by all!!
Nik..great idea with the timer.

No More Pull-ups!!!!!

Love
Nana

Jenn said...

yaaay nate! great job buddy :) just wait til there are no more diapers or pull ups! we're trying to get more kiddos potty trained so we don't have so many diaper kids...it's no fun, i feel like i like half of my day in the bathroom!!