Sunday, October 2, 2011

Just because I can

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS LOTS OF BRAGGING


No, it's not his birthday. And no, it's nowhere close to Father's Day. But today, I want to give a shout out to the best daddy and husband in the world.


This may not seem like much to you, but to me it is HUGE. Two Fridays ago, several little things happened throughout the day that caught my attention and reminded me of all the little reasons why I love my husband.


The day started off with me opening my eyes to see numbers on the alarm clock that I had not seen from my bed in several months...8:07am. Holy cow! What was I still doing in bed after 8am?!? Why was I still sleeping? And then panic struck me. I was supposed to do Abby's hair for school. We had picked out a cute shirt and a perfectly matching hair clip the night before. I quickly jumped out of bed and ran downstairs thinking maybe I could catch her before the bus came to at least apologize for oversleeping and not doing her hair. When I got to the bottom of the stairs and looked out the front door, I was shocked when I saw this...

Her hair had been neatly brushed into a ponytail and the perfectly matching hairclip was in! I said, "Oh, thank goodness! Emma did Abby's hair for her." And Jake says, "No. I did it."

Jaw dropping moment #1 of the day.


Later that day when the kids got home from school, Emma had homework. Math. Instead of setting up at the dining room table as usual, she pulled up a chair next to her Daddy at the kitchen table where he was sitting because she needed help. She did that on her own. She needed help and she knows she can go to him. She needed help and he helpled her.

Jaw dropping moment #2 of the day.

And later that night, Nathan had a Kindergarten Karnival at school. After dinner, Jake got himself and Nate ready and met Amy at the school for a night of games and activities.

Jaw dropping moment #3 of the day.
We have moments like this all the time. Jake is a great Daddy. He is very involved. Why did these things stand out to me? Probably because growing up my Dad would have NEVER done any of these things. I don't think my dad even knew what a hairbrush was never mind attempt to use one to do my hair. And doing homework with my dad....well, let's just say it's not something I looked forward to. I would avoid asking him for help at all cost. It was not a fun experience. And my dad attending school events never happened. I'm lucky he knew where the school was! I didn't have a terrible father...I know he probably did the best he could. But I didn't have an involved father. All the negative experiences and all the things I missed out doing with my dad just make me appreciate my husband and the wonderful job he is doing at being a good daddy even more. I don't ever want to take the little things for granted. Because it's the little things that sometimes make the biggest impact.
Jake, thanks for being such a great Daddy to all your children. I love you so much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice blog message! You are
both so involved in the children's
lives..it's so nice to see!

I am proud of you Jacob!!You too Nik!


Love
Mom

Renee said...

I know exactly how you feel...I feel blessed to have a husband who is the daddy to our boys that I never had (and neither did he). Here's to awesome daddies!

Just remember that you're an awesome mommy too!

Love,
Renee

Anonymous said...

What a nice blog!!! It is so nice to watch you working together,the kids absolutely know that they can count on both of you at any time.

Love,
Christine