Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Big Move

Last Wednesday was the big moving day. We loaded up the 22 foot truck on Tuesday night and headed for PA Wednesday morning.
Seven long hours later we arrived at our new home!
Okay, I know this is a little silly, but I was really excited about our very first houswarming gift!
And the unloading begins.
And now it's time to unpack...



So, we had a little issue with getting our box spring up our stairs. It didn't fit. We were baffled because we knew we couldn't be the only people in the complex with a queen sized bed, but no matter what we did we could not get this thing around the corner. It was extremely frustrating and we actually dented the wall a little in the process. Jake's smile in this picture was forced, he definitley was not in a smiley mood. I told him to smile because one day we would laugh about this.
And sure enough we did laugh about it the very next day! Jake saw the maintence man, Keith, outside and inquired if other tenants have the same difficulty. To our relief this is a common problem and Keith offered to come over and do it for us. So, he and another maintence man showed up and just shoved the box spring up the stairs and around the corner!
Jake and I were so concerned about the dent we put in the wall but that was nothing compared to what these guys did! We have two huge scratches/dents in the wall as a result of this whole ordeal. Luckily, maintence will come by and fix up for us whenever we want. The important thing is that the bed is upstairs!
Our first meal in our new home...Domino's pizza.

I'd like to share with you some of my new favorite things.
Cable TV! For the first time in over 3 years I have cable in my home!!!! A dishwasher! For the first time in my LIFE I have a dishwasher in my home!!!!! I'm so excited about this because washing dishes is one of my least favoritve chores.
And a washer and dryer! For the first time in about 5 years I have a washer and dryer in my home!!!!! I'm really excited about the washer and dryer because I actually love to do laundry. I know that's a little crazy, but I do. And I no longer have to lug my laundry to people's houses or the laundry mat..woohoo!
Along with cable/internet/phone service you get a bunch of ugly devices you need to set up. I didn't realize how many gadgets you need just to have cable/internet. Our orginal set up was looking a little sloppy, so I went to WalMart and found a little cabinet to store all this stuff. Since Jake was back in MA and it was killing me to look at this mess, I decided to try to put the shelf together myself. To my amazement I actually did it and it hasn't fallen apart...yet!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the move went relatively smoothly!!! I hope you are getting settled in...I bet you already have the boxes unpacked.
Christine

Jenn said...

place looks good so far.. can't wait to see it all decorated!

Anonymous said...

Your new house looks bigger than ours. Dad showed me the pool, too bad we don't have one. You have a lot of boxes to unpack. I'll help you unpack when I come. See you soon. Love, Emma

Anonymous said...

hi nikki and jake i love the black dent in the wall and you guys have cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love mackenzie