Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Career #2...

a daycare worker/preschool teacher at Small Frey's Children Center!

No, I didn't leave the orthodontist job...I now am employeed at two places. I LOVE my job at the orthodontist but the only downfall is that it's only part time. Once I am fully trained and once the doctor's clientele increases (the particular doctor I mainly work for has only been at this practice for 18 months), there may be an opportunity for me to advance to full time. But as of now I am only there three days a week. Financially this doesn't work for Jake and I and quite honestly having 4 days off is just way too much time on my hands! So, I have been searching for a second job and it hasn't been an easy process. In the past when I have needed to pick up a second job, I usually just apply at retail stores. Someplace is always hiring so it's usually not difficult. However, my situation is much different now. I am not a single girl who can work seven days a week whenever I want. I have to coordinate my schedule with Jake's so we can be home when the kids are over and around to do pickups and drop offs. This complicated my search quite a bit. I was getting quite discouraged and a little nervous but today everything changed. I had an interview at a daycare center and they hired me part time. I am able to work there on my 2 days off from the orthodontists and one day I split my time between the two jobs. The most exciting thing is that I don't have to work weekends! I can't tell you what a relief this is. Now, Jake doesn't have to worry about his schedule so much because I will always be around to help watch the kids when they are over and this frees up time for me to travel back home to MA on weekends (I must say I am getting a little homesick). I am also thrilled to have a job that is something I enjoy (working with kids) and not retail (which I can't stand!)!! Another perk is that they will pay for online classes to further my education!
In home nanny, hairdresser, orthodontic technician, daycare worker/preschool teacher...is there such a thing as career ADD?? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I know how much you enjoy working with kids. Congratulations!

Love,
Christine

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! You will be awesome at this job...you certainly have plenty of experience! Good for you.

Love,
Renee

Anonymous said...

Things are really starting to fall
into place. I think it's great that
you'll be getting all the holidays
off and weekends off with BOTH
of your jobs. Good for you..good
for all of you!

Love,
Barbara

Jenn said...

really?! that's sooo cool. looks like a cute little place to work :)