Thursday, December 24, 2009

Can you guess...

...who slept in their very own bed in their own room all by himself last night?


Nathan!
There has been some changes in our house as far as sleeping arrangements go. When we moved in September to our 3 bedroom house, we let Emma have her own bedroom and had Abby & Nate share a room since this is what they are familiar with at Mom's house. It seemed like the best set up because Abby & Nate play together so much and enjoy playing with a lot of the same toys. However, over the past few weeks Nathan has been making several comments about wanting privacy. So, Jake and I pondered the idea of switching Emma and Nathan and giving Nate his own room and have the girls share. We liked the idea, but weren't so sure how Emma and Nate would feel about it. So we all talked about it. It was an obvious "YES!" from Abby who would finally have an all girl room...a surprisingly enthusiastic "YES!" from Nathan who was thrilled about the idea of keeping his sisters out of his space.... and a not quite as excited, but willing to give it a try (especially after it was agreed she could have the top bunk) "Yes" from Emma. So, we went for it. Last weekend Jake and I switched all the kids clothes and toys. We now have a very flowery, girly, pink and purple room for Emma and Abby. And Nathan has his very own boy room. He was so excited he was shaking (literally. I thought he was cold so I told Jake to turn the heat up and Nate said, "No Mickey, I'm just so excited about my new room!). When the kids first came over, Emma and Abby played together for almost two hours in their new room. I can't remember the last time Emma willingly played with her little sister! And the first thing Nate did in his new room was play trains with Daddy. Nate couldn't wait to sleep in his very own bed and he put his pj's on at 6:00 and climbed in bed to "practice" sleeping alone! He went to bed (later that night, not at 6pm!) tear free and slept the entire night in his new room!

I'm sure the novelty of this will wear off sooner or later and we will have new challenges on our hands...but for now we are enjoying the kids excitement about it:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathan in his "man cave" Awesome!I can't hardly wait to see it
when we come down! I am very proud
of you big guy..I am also quite
pleased to hear that the girls
are sharing a room and getting
along so nicely..way to go!
Great plan guys!
Love and miss you all
Mom/Nana

Anonymous said...

Yeah Nate! You are growing up so fast. We are proud of you, BIG GUY.
PopPop and Grandmom

Anonymous said...

What a great move! So cute that he was so excited about his new room! He looks so happy!

Love,
Christine