Christmas is a season. This is what I am trying to learn. Growing up, Christmas in our family focused around one main event...my mother's family Christmas Eve party. It is what I looked forward to every year. Sure, I was excited about Santa coming Christmas morning, but I was always much more enthusiastic about the Christmas Eve party. All that to say, my family dynamic has changed drastically over the past couple of years and since we live so far away from our extended family, Christmas Eve is no longer the big event for me. I am learning how to celebrate Christmas as a season and not just one (or two) particular days in the month of December. Christmas for us began the day after Thanksgiving. The tree and decorations went up, the carols began to be sung and what seemed like endless present shopping and wrapping began. We celebrated Christmas with our Massachusetts families in the middle of December, and Jake and I celebrated the holidays with our Pennsylvania friends and co-workers later in the month. We finished up our holiday celebrations with the kids on the evening of Christmas day.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You're absolutely right - Christmas is a season. And since it only comes 'round once a year, we should celebrate on more than just one day or at one particular event. I know it was very difficult for you to not be here for Christmas Eve, but you were certainly there in spirit, at least for me :) Look at it this way - just because you weren't there this year, doesn't mean you won't be there another year. And on the bright side, you didn't have to pose for a family photo in front of 30 zillion cameras! Just kidding, I know that even though we all complain about it, we secretly love it :)
Not only that, but you made it through and were able to find new ways to enjoy Christmas. And this was the first year and I'm sure you learned what works and what doesn't work, so next year you can tweak it :)
Love,
Renee
It took a while for Tim to get used to the extended Christmas celebrations, too. It seems that we stretch Christmas through the entire month of December, and have a quiet Christmas Day. The quietness of Christmas Day took a little getting used to, but now I love being able to sit back and watch the kids relax.
The kids look like they had a great night. I love the neck pillows!
Love,
Christine
Post a Comment