Friday, December 12, 2008

Disappointment

That's what all five of us are feeling tonight. Why? We were supposed to be traveling to MA tonight to spend the weekend with our families and celebrate Christmas with them. A big family party with Jake's family on Saturday and a small get-together with my family on Sunday. But instead of being on the road somewhere, we are all at home. Mother Nature kind of messed up our plans. Last night MA got a bad ice storm that left thousands of people without power. The Leominster/Gardner area, where we were headed, has been without power since Thursday night and could be without it until Sunday or Monday!!! My sister, brother-in-law and nephew went to four hotels before finding one with a room available. What a mess! After a few phone calls with Barbara and my sister, we all decided it would probably be better that we just stay put. It would be a little tricky to put on a party without any electricity.
So, let's just say I am so glad that I spent the past three evenings packing for the five of us...
just so I could unpack it all!!!!!
We were all set and ready to hit the road. Poor kids were quite upset. We have decided that since this weekend didn't work out, we are going to go up (weather permitting) for Christmas. I just found out this morning that I have the 26th off from work and so does Jake. So, all hope is not lost to spend the holidays with family. Let's just pray the weather cooperates better in a couple weeks!
We needed to quickly put a plan together for some activities to do with the kids to make up for not going on our trip. I think we have some good ideas and it should be a fun weekend. First thing we did tonight was let the kids make their own dinner...


And then we had a "picnic" in the living room. This was fun and you should have seen their faces when we told them we would eat dinner on the living room floor. They were quite surprised because this is usually a big no, no at our house.
While we ate, we watched "Frosty the Snowman" and "Frosty Returns." I think we had a pretty good start to our weekend considering the change of plans. We have a lot more planned to do in the next couple of days, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys!
It looks like you had a pretty great weekend! We were so sorry that you couldn't come up, but you really made the right decision. We just got our power back about 2 hours ago. Rob, Mom, and Dad all have their power back now too. Never thought that I would be so excited to take a hot shower. Tim, the kids and I have been "camping" in the living room since Friday. It's amazing what you can cook in a fireplace. We are really looking forward to seeing you on Christmas!!! Nikki, I hope your family is doing well.
Love,
Christine

Anonymous said...

We are so disappointed that this weekend didn't work out as planned. The ice storm was miserable, but thankfully we have power back and things are slowly getting back to normal. There are still so many people without power, it's unbelievable. You guys definitely made the right decision to stay in PA. I really hope it works out for you to come up next week!!! Connor and I will be home all day on Christmas Eve, so come visit!

Love,
Renee