After training and shadowing other assistants for the past three months, this week I received my own chair at the office! My name is on the schedule with my own column of patients. It's a light schedule compared to the other assistants, and I still need help from time to time, but nevertheless, I'm officially an assistant! This may not seem like a huge deal to you...but to me it is. I walked into this field of work with no background in it other than being a patient in an orthodontic office over 10 years ago. I was blessed to find a group of people who had faith in me that I could do this job. So much faith that they hired me before interviewing anyone else for the position, knowing that I would require more training than someone else with experience would. I was told by the doctors and assistants, that on average it takes about 3-6 months of training before you get your own chair and 6 months to a year before you are completely comfortable working on your own. Back in September I couldn't imagine working on my own...it was all so overwhelming and there seemed to be so much to learn. And here I am exactly three months later with my own chair! It has been a rocky road these past few months learning this trade (which I continue to learn each day I am there, I have only begun!) and I have had my share of difficult days. But, when I think about how much I have learned in this short amount of time...the vocabulary, procedures, how to use the tools, charting, coding, scheduling...I get excited thinking about all the things I will learn in the future and where I will be in the next three months :)
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
oh wow! that's so great to hear... congrats :)
That's wonderful! You should be very proud of yourself...you worked hard for it. Congratulations!
Love,
Christine
I am so proud of you..your own
chair and patient panel..didn't
take you long!
Love,
Barbara
Nikki, that's so awesome!!! You should be very proud of yourself! This new career is so different from anything else that you've done, so I'm sure it's challenging yet exciting. Good for you!!!
So, if Connor ever needs braces, you'll come back to Mass. to help us out??? Just kidding!
Love,
Renee
Post a Comment